Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Batter up!

Here we can talk about pretty much anything as long as we keep it positive.

I am going to start with one of my favorite past times in the world...Baseball.

I completely understand why some people do not enjoy baseball. The biggest complaint I hear is that it is just too slow paced and there is too much time when "nothing is going on".

The older I get, the more I think that baseball is just something you have to have in your blood. For me, the entire game of baseball is full of action. Shifting defenses, batter rituals, the movement of the base runners, the breese blowing over impossibly green grass, the sun beating down and so much more. It is just one of those things that I could talk about for hours, but never fully explain my love of it.

No matter what your personal affection or disdain for the sport, no other American sport has had such an impact on our society and its developement.

There was a story I have heard about two men in back in the mid-1920s who were arguing profusely about politics. one of the gentlement was from the United States and the other from England. Their argument became so heated that it turned to throwing insults. The American glared at the Engishman as he thought of the best way to infuriate his opponent and yelled "Oh yeah? Well down with the Queen!". The Engishman bristled and without hesitation screamed back the only insult he could think of that would compare to a blast to the Queen Mother "Down with Babe Ruth!" he exclaimed. The rest of the story involves silly 1920s boxer style fisticuffs, so I will spare you those details. The point is that a baseball player was the icon of our country at the time, not our president, and not even an actor or wealthy magnate. That, is just awesome to me.

Beyond that, I hope most will agree that 1947 was an important date for baseball and our country. This was the first time since the 1800s that an African American was allowed to play in the Major Leagues. The impact of that even on desegregation in the United State is immeasurable. Thank you Jackie Robinson!

If you have the time, watch the Ken Burns documentary simply called "Baseball". It is just an amazing, complete story of baseball with all of the good, bad and ugly intact.

Alright. This is how this thread works. You can keep talking about baseball, or start your own topic to discuss. You can talk about pretty much anything, but please no politics or other potentially heated or derisive topics.

So what will it be, your favorite breed of dog? Great fishing spots? The best way to keep left over Chineese food fresh? Surprise me!

;)

Darin